Sunday, March 17, 2013

It's a Sunbeam kind of day

The birds are singing, the sun is shining, the cats are hogging sunbeams and I can see through my windows.  Yes..I actually cleaned my windows! I know...some small part of hell is now frozen over, I'm sure. I have no qualms about admitting I am the worst housekeeper on the planet. I really have to work at what seems to come naturally to others. I have embraced that I was not born with the housekeeping gene. I am a late bloomer at this deep cleaning thing.

I've also fully embraced the "natural" cleanser brigade. I avoid purchased cleansers due to the chemicals in them. The only thing I'm still buying is carpet cleaner and that's due to I've yet to find a "homemade" version that is as good or better.

Today I made up a batch of window cleaner and it was fantastic.

  • 1 cup of rubbing alcohol *easily purchased at the dollar store*
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 tablespoon of vinegar
Mix in a spray bottle and spray away! I use flour sack towels and my windows came out kind of kick ass. Now I have to just get the outside of them done. 

What gets me...is I never set out to be all "green" or "back to nature". It just sort of happened. I ran out of all purpose cleaner one day and couldn't get to the store. A friend of mine suggested I mix up some borax, washing soda, vinegar and water. Yeah, you're all going, who the hell has that shit on hand. *laughs* I happened to have it all due to making some bath bombs for xmas.  Any how, I mixed up a batch of that stuff and holy canapes...it worked better than the stuff from the store. I figured if that worked, why not other stuff. So I made jewelry cleaner, dishwasher detergent, furniture polish, antibacterial spray, shower cleaner and toilet bowl cleaner. All of it works perfectly...and most of it uses the same damn ingredients. Buy it in bulk, shove it under the counter and mix as needed.   

I never set out to do all this, but once I started looking at labels I was kind of icked out over it. While I don't have kids, I do have my two cats and my dog. They are my babies and I don't want them around all that crap either. 

So, I have five or six generic bottles that I just fill as needed. Can you imagine what I would be like if I was anal about cleaning? The deity above help us all! *laughs*

No comments:

Post a Comment