Thursday, May 16, 2013

Every now and then you just get inspired.

While perusing G+ I ran across someone who just had one of those posts you want to read. Her name is Neila Rey. Normally, I'm not one to follow ANY KIND of fitness anything. In fact, I think I'm slightly allergic to the word "fitness".

It's always seemed that everything fitness related was just out of my reach. You go to a gym and it's full of thin fit people. You go for a walk and you get passed by a million runners or speed walkers. No one ever seems to be a "beginner" at it. The articles in fitness magazines all suggest stuff way out of my price range. Hell, I can barely afford to "eat healthy". Eating healthy involves a very complicated algorithm to make it happen on a budget.

However, I clicked on her G+ profile and was kind of shocked. Here was a woman who was fit and healthy and she wasn't pushing a ton of expensive stuff. Instead she's all about getting healthy inside and out. It's about mind over matter instead of what gadget you buy or what expensive organic thing you eat.

She started where I'm at and just kept working at it, changing her eating habits, her lifestyle habits and her thinking habits. I've never met this woman nor will I ever probably meet her. She has however, inspired me to make some changes. Okay, the changes were already happening, but she's clued me in that I'm on the right track.

For the first time in over a year, my weight is going down and not up. I've managed to walk a mile and not be dying from it. I'm evening considering purchasing a treadmill for the winter months here, I don't relish walking in six to eight months of rain and cold. I've manage to cut out all soda and junk food. The cash saved there has been funneled into my newest craving-sugar snap peas. I swear they are worse than lays potato chips. You can't eat just one!

Instead of just having a goal of being healthier, for the very first time in my life, I'm contemplating running! Yes, me! I don't think I've ever run in my life? The fight or flight thing apparently has never surfaced in my life? No...haha, I chose fight over flight.

So, Neila Rey...thanks for the inspiration. I honestly never thought it would happen in my lifetime. I figured I would be fit and healthy next time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment